Tuesday, March 04, 2008

"What Should A Writer Do?" He Asked

     If you were to ask me, I would say that the moment that every writer should strive for is the moment where he recognizes how sheer the cliffs are that he must scale. I mean, when you come across the bulk of existence, of literature, of art, you are a tiny, infinitely small speck. And I believe that the greatest truth about the self is found only through the unconscious recognition of these differences in size. And as the moment approaches and you slowly get closer and closer to the surface of this great monolith that Man has made, your neck cranes further and further back in some silly attempt to comprehend the size of it. And the first step up this bulwark is when the writer first writes in acknowledgment of how unknowingly high he must climb. I can't say if and where the cliff ends, I have no idea how many blind gropes up the craggy mountainside it will take. But that on the top of that cliff, one may see out until forever.

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

No comments: